Game Help:Blurry Body Shop Projects
|Sims 2 Game Help Categories:|
|MTS's Sims 2 Q&A Help Forums|
Body Shop is making all my projects small and blurry!
Body Shop will reduce texture sizes of images used in project, so all of your Body Shop projects are blurry, pixellated, or crunchy.
This can become enabled even if your projects were fine before, especially if you've just installed a new expansion pack.
The following steps should the texture reduction issue. Note that says should.
Some have reported this causes more problems than it solves using this method, others have reported it fixes the blur problems just fine as it should. Make sure you back up as described in case something goes wrong!!!
1. Open Notepad (Start - Programs - Accessories, Notepad). Bring up an Open dialog box. Where it says "Files of Type" change it from Text Documents to All Files.
2. Navigate to the following folder on your computer. Usually it is on your C: drive, but if you have installed The Sims 2 to a different drive, substitute its drive letter.
- Make sure you open the folder called CSConfig, not just Config... there's a Graphics Rules.sgr in Config, too, so don't get them mixed up.
3. Look for a file called Graphics Rules.sgr. Select it and open it.
4. Before you change anything in the file, Save As. Change the Save As Type to "All Files" and name it 'Graphic Rules.BACKUP' - that way if anything goes wrong with what is edited in the real file, it can be deleted and this backup with all the original info can be renamed to Graphic Rules.sgr and all will be well.
5. Re-open the original Graphic Rules.sgr file in Notepad.
6. Edit - Find and search for 'UI Options' and press Find Next. It will locate the text about halfway down in the file.
It should look like this:
# UI Options
log $logGroup $logLevelDebug "Begin parsing option definitions"
option MaterialDetail setting $Low boolProp bumpMapping false intProp imageDataSizeReductionOnLoad 0
setting $Medium boolProp bumpMapping false intProp imageDataSizeReductionOnLoad 0
setting $High boolProp bumpMapping true intProp imageDataSizeReductionOnLoad 0 end
7. Change each of the numbers at the end of the 'intProp imageDataSizeReductionOnLoad' lines to 0 so it looks like the above. Don't change ANYTHING else except any 2's or 1's listed there in those three lines to 0's.
8. File - Save.
9. If you have any expansion packs installed, you must repeat these steps for all expansion packs you have... Repeat all the steps above, but substitute the following for the directory to look in:
For University: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\CSConfig
For Nightlife: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSData\Res\CSConfig
For Open for Business: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Open for Business\TSData\Res\CSConfig
For Pets: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Pets\TSData\Res\CSConfig
For Seasons: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSData\Res\CSConfig
Make sure you remember to back up each of the Graphics Rules.sgr files in each folder as described above in case you mess anything up.
This will not fix existing projects that have been blurred and compressed by incorrect settings. You will have to go and re-import those projects in Body Shop to fix them. This will only fix your settings so new projects are not also compressed and blurred.
- Callum91, for the original info
- HystericalParoxysm, for the original FAQ